Friday, June 5, 2009

Gonna turn that sun into rain

Lauren promised to meet Fletch at the Black Cat after work. They were going to the flee market to pick up some remaining items that might make their place a home. She was excited to do something like that with him. Suddenly, their place really felt like a home, and she wanted it to be their place for good.

"Do you just hide in the library all the time?" Anita snuck up on her as Lauren was putting books away.

"What are you doing here?" Lauren smiled. "I haven't seen you in ages. How's it going?"

"I've been trying to reach you," Anita told her. "I did go to your concert, you know. I was hoping we could have hung out afterwards."

"I was with Fletch," Lauren gave her a soft smile hoping she wasn't giving so much away.

"I see," Anita didn't look thrilled about it. "There were a few of us wanting to go to the fair coming up. I really wish you could spend some time with us.

"Can't." Lauren sighed. "But we'll be playing at the fair. Actually. So I'll be busy getting ready for that."

"Then what?" Anita scowled.

"I dunno." Lauren shook her head. "I'm with Fletch now." She finally explained.

"Fletch!" Anita winced. "How could you?"

"Its not that bad. We're in a band. Why not?"

"I guess-" Anita sighed. "Guess I can kiss you good-bye to having no fun what so ever with you this summer. I was hoping you could come away with me on holiday. My parents plan on going to Spain."

"Sorry," Lauren shrugged.

"Just as well, I've lost interest in you, anyway." Anita glared back at her.

Lauren didn't ask what that meant.

"Well, I hope I see you around. Maybe we could have drink. I'm meeting Fletch at the Black Cat in a few if you wish to join us."

"Don't think so." Anita hugged herself and walked away.

What could Lauren do? Everything was evolving. One way or another.

4 comments:

ellie said...

I hate when that happens with friends. But it does. Hopefully, Lauren and Anita will find some balance & won't lose their friendship completely.

Lon said...

I have to wonder who's changed most out of these two.

dapper kid said...

Yikes Anita is being a bit mean, I suppose Lauren has become somewhat isolated from her friends. I do hope they manage to spend some time together :)

blue hearts said...

Some friendships are hard to keep mending. Probably just a phase.