Wednesday, April 15, 2009

just a touch

Katy noticed Maxie was being awful quiet. What was he up too? She thought. Perhaps she'd been a bit down on him, lately. She hadn't meant to be. Really, if it hadn't been for putting up with that Orval, all things would be right in the world. She'd finally managed to hook him up with the old lady down the street. Naturally, he took more of an interest in her brother. At least someone was occupying his time instead of her.

"Are you all right?" She found him in the kitchen kneading pizza dough.

"Yes, why shouldn't I be?" He looked up at her as if he was too busy to talk.

"Something is different." She stared at him.

"Like what? You found a pimple or something?" He winced.

"No," Katy all most laughed. "You're much quieter. Is anything the matter?"

"Not really." But he wasn't his clumsy self. Something was a bit stiff about him, she though. "Ian and Sash are on a break. I guess."

"Oh." Katy wasn't sure why they had to care, but Ian was his friend.

"He's just staying for a while. If that's all right?"

"I guess." She shrugged as she stirred the pizza sauce.

"Good." He just nodded.

She leaned over then and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He slightly jumped.

"Oh, I didn't know-"

"Maxie," she smiled. "Why so nervous?"

"I'm not."

"I've been rather hard on you, lately, haven't I?" She pushed her fingers through his auburn hair.

"Not at all." He faintly smiled.

"Come on," she touched his cheek. "Let me make it up to you."

"Right now?" Maxie squinted.

"What's wrong with right now?" She stared at him intently.

"Nothing." He almost laughed, leaving the ball of pizza dough and going to her.

"That's more like it." She smiled and she lead the way to their room.

2 comments:

cait said...

Oh, Katy..I like her..but sometimes, I don't.

ellie said...

You're making some changes too..hehehee...