Monday, March 9, 2009

breakfast

Maxie knew there was a guest. He had money up front. Franny had left it in an envelope on his dresser with the name Jamie written on it.

That really didn't mean much to him. Jamie. Who did he know by that name? He drew a blank as he stirred brown sugar and cinnamon into the creamy oatmeal he was prepairing. There was some fresh fruit in a bowl on the table along with some biscuits and jam.

Of course, Franny was down first.

"Thanks about last night," Maxie was grateful that she could take in the boarder like that. "You think he's all right, do you?"

"Jamie? I suppose. Doesn't sound like he'd be here long. Passing through, I take it. He looked the traveling sort, actually." She poured herself some coffee then, adding just a touch of milk.

"And how are you and Nico resting?" Maxie hoped he'd tell her any troubles they might be having.

"Well, very well, thank you. They have daycare at the hospital which is amazing," Franny smiled, sipping her coffee. She stared at Maxie then as she waited for a bowl of oatmeal.

"I was just wondering," she then said as she got Nico set up in the high chair and his food to him. "Do you know anything about the bloke who runs the record shop?"

"Cecil?" Maxie winced. "What of him?"

"I dunno, I met him. He gave me some music." Franny told him.

"Did he now? Aw, he must like you."

"You think?" She took more of her coffee before she cleaned Nico's mess.

"Cecil doesn't give out free music to anyone," Maxie came and sat down then and helped himself to a warm buscuit, spreading some lemon curd about it. "You know, he was Sasha's bloke once."

"Oh."

"She couldn't be terribly upset, could she? If you had a go at him."

This cracked Franny up. She almost spit her coffee on Maxie.

"I'm not having a go at anyone," Franny cleared her throat.

"Oh, I thought-"

"You do know, I'm pregnant." She laughed herself almost in tears.

"Yeah, but hey, he's a good bloke. He was good to Sasha. I dunno what happened. But you know, I don't think that would hold him back. A baby and all." Maxie shrugged biting in to his biscuit.

Franny just smiled then and cleaned Nico's face. It was time for her to get to work.

"The breakfast was lovely," she thanked him then.

"So you think this Jamie will sleep through breakfast?" Maxie drank on his coffee.

"Dunno." Franny shrugged and off she went to work with Nico.

5 comments:

cady x said...

I liked this.

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-nice writing. I wonder if Franny will pop in on Cecil again?

ellie said...

Maxie can be funny and not even know it. Franny and the coffee. Yeah, made me smile.

blue hearts said...

Oh what a breakfast. What a conversation about Cecil too.

dk;dc said...

I did get a chuckle out of this one.