Saturday, February 7, 2009

staying about

"Are you sure you want to be here?" Maxie asked Katy who had brought home groceries.

"Why not?"

"The kitchen is a wreck. Finally got someone in here to take a look at the sink." He told her while she sat out canned goods and jars of jams and sauces. She'd brought home a roast too.

"Well, that must have set you back." Maxie's eyes lit.

"I can handle it."

"Have we been playing the fruit machines or something?" Maxie took a good look at the meat.

"No, my brother sends me funds." She nodded as she pulled out celery and carrots too.

"And you won't even see him." Maxie winced.

"I'm much more fond of him if I'm not around him," she shrugged putting items in the fridge.

"Well, then perhaps you'd really love me if you moved on," Maxie couldn't help but imply something about their status.

"What do you mean?" Katy slightly scowled then while he went to put on the kettle for a brew.

"I'm not sure I get you. Not sure if I should be sleeping with you, either." He scowled back then. "Can you at least tell me what you're running from?"

"I'd rather not bother you with it," Katy looked at him then with all her sincerity.

"But I'm already bothered," he shrugged. "Just tell me."

"I was very close to being married." Katy then told him. "It wasn't exactly on the up an up."

"Who with?"

She shut her eyes tight then. "Colin, all right. It was Colin."

Maxie shook his head, and almost smiled. "Are you serious? How could that be? He doesn't look like the marrying sort, now does he?"

"No." She shook her head. "I guess it was just to get back at me, but it was more than a joke." She sat down at the kitchen table then as he got out the tin of cookies she bought. "Really, it was quite disgusting. I can't even explain how I even fail into all of it with him. But it was quite dreadful. We ended up in Spain."

"Spain?" He got their tea cups ready then. "Sounds expensive. How on earth could he afford that?"

"Drugs, I suppose."

Maxie just nodded, getting the tea ready.

"Anyway, I'd just met him on a train. And he drugged me."

"Couldn't you go to the coppers about this?"

"I dunno. I just want to be as far away as possible from him. Otherwise, blackmail will be involved and I'm sure he'd say I was willing, anyway. I was so for gone. You know. I couldn't tell if I was miserable or happy. Even though, he kept telling me we were. He's a nutter who makes you one, too." She looked quite miserable now while nursing her tea.

"I'm still not sure how I fit in all this."

"Well, you don't actually."

"Figured as much."

"I like you, I do Maxie. You've been the best. I don't have a mate I could go to. Not really. And maybe I could help you." Katy winced.

"Yes, help." Maxie looked around the kitchen. "Do you know anything about boarding houses?"

"Why?" She looked at him puzzled.

"Because, I think we have one." He smiled then.

5 comments:

ellie said...

Poor Katy with Colin. Maxie is much much better.

what we needed said...

Wow..Col is so bad..even with Katy.

another.ellie said...

I really like Katy with Maxie.

fan fic said...

cool about the boarding house. I'm glad Katy openned up to him.

taffy. said...

will this be good or bad?